Thursday, February 01, 2007

SHERRYBABY

So, I watched "Sherrybaby" last night and I really liked it. I think Maggie Gyllenhaal is a really good actress.

"Sherrybaby" is about a young woman who has just been released on parole after serving two years on drug-related charges. She spends the movie trying to go straight and be a mother to her young daughter who has been living with Sherry's brother and sister-in-law. The movie is absolutely heart-breaking. Gyllenhaal gets you to feel for Sherry while still recognizing the fact that she is the cause of her own problems. It really made me think about how hard it must be for alcoholics and drug addicts to go straight. In a controlled environment like prison, I think it must be easier for people to clean up. But, once they get out and are faced with all the daily struggles and temptations...

Anyway, while the film is definitely not upbeat, it is very well done and Gyllenhaal is terrific.

No comments: