Friday, February 23, 2007

The Dangling Carrot

Okay, I have a confession. I'm an achievement junkie. And just what does that mean?

Well...

Ever since I was very young, I have loved working towards awards and honors. At church, they would offer a bookmark or a Bible for learning a certain number of Bible verses and I would get to work. The local library would give you a certificate if you read a certain number of books and my library card would soon be smoking. I would have been a great Girl Scout. All those nifty badges to earn! I carried this mania with me into high school. The minute I heard about an award that was within reach, I would start gunning for it. I was so burned out after high school that my college years were very lackluster. Instead of focusing on academic achievement, I joined every club I could. (Yes, I'm a joiner.)

After moving to California and joining the local Woman's Club, I set to work getting on the Board. (check!) Now, I am active in a new League and I am already angling to get into a leadership position. Plus, I was reminded about the Presidential Service Award last night. You get a pin for every 100 hours of volunteer service. I happily went home and started entering my hours into the computer. Oh, boy! A pin!

I'm such a dork. I don't know what this addiction is. Maybe it comes from where I grew up. The pressure to succeed was huge and the adults were constantly pitting us against one another.

Or maybe it's just because I like shiny pins.


(by the way....Police tickets go on sale today. I'm squirming in my seat like a little kid. Hang on, Sting! I'm coming!)

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

yeah, I am registered on the Presidential Service awards thing with AJLI also... it seems to only serve to make me realize I actually spend a lot less time volunteering than I imagine i do!