Monday, April 12, 2004

So, I had a fairly decent Easter. The sun came out even though it was cold and I actually made it inside the sanctuary this year by going half an hour early. My pastor gave a really great sermon. I always grumble about going to church but when I get there, I'm always really happy to be there. There is just something so comforting about being in church around all the familiar rituals.

I spent a lovely evening with my friends, Amy and Greg. They always serve great food at their house and the conversation is always good. We are such nerds we actually spent some time reading the dictionary. I think we all have a fondness for words.

I did make it over to the theater to see "The Alamo" and I was mighty disappointed. It could have been a great film. One that inspired all Americans. But instead, it was a mass of confusion that offered no historical context. Even Texans familiar with Texas history could be confused. (and if you grow up in Texas, you are required to have a year of Texas history in 7th grade) Without explaining why the Alamo was important or any of the historical background of the war, it made it seem like a bunch of random ruffians ended up in a mission together and died there. It's a real shame because it is such a heroic story. Even when you chop out the parts of legend. As much I love all the legends surrounding the Alamo, part of me thinks it is better to present those men as they were. Just simple rough men out to make a new life for themselves. They weren't perfect. But they were courageous and they all believed in the same dream. It makes me teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Hope y'all had a good Easter, too.


No comments: