Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Whew! I can't believe it is Tuesday already! This past Sunday, I played Mary Magdalene for three hours at church. We have an Easter walk where kids and adults walk through different rooms depicting different scenes of Holy Week from Palm Sunday to the Empty Tomb. In each room, they hear a brief story from a costumed character and receive a small memento. I was in charge of the Empty Tomb. I had a different group every 5-10 minutes. I was exhausted by the time it was over.

So, I have a though for you women out there. Maybe this experience is unique to me but it always seems like women tend to pick up the interests of their partners and not vice versa. Women always seem to be really good about trying to get involved in their partner's interests and hobbies. But men never seem to do the same. These are the following interests I have tried to pick up/pursue through men I have dated:

the military
drinking
card games
weight lifting
mountain biking
heavy metal music
genealogy
running
hashing
sports cars
tropical fish
special diets like the Zone
vitamins/antioxidants
video cameras
rap/hip hop/dance music
four wheel driving
biology
golf
etc etc etc

(some of these I still pursue...but not many)

I do these things in an attempt to share my partner's interests and to become closer. And because I really like to learn new things. But the people I date have never seemed to have any real interest in learning about my hobbies. Except for Nick. He was willing to read whatever I suggested and even attended a Richard Leakey lecture with me. But that was rare. Men seem to just take for granted that women will follow along with their interests. My friend Anna, for example, is learning French for her boyfriend and is trying to learn more about racing cars since that is what he is into. Why do we always have to be the ones to take up the other person's interests? When will I date a guy who starts getting into politics, museums and art films to know me better? It's kind of irritating.



No comments: