Wednesday, June 16, 2004

It is raining and thundering outside. And I love it. I think that song "Only Happy When It Rains" was written for me. I certainly sleep better when it rains. I've always loved the rain. Especially when the thunder and lightning are so strong, they shake the house. Woo hoo!

A volunteer that I used to work with at the library named Barbara J. passed away last night. She was such a vibrant interesting person and it's hard to think that she won't be at Virginia Village anymore teaching senior citizens how to use the internet. She couldn't have been older than her early sixties. I look at some senior citizens that come into the library looking frail and old and think about how that is what 60 or 65 looks like. But then I think about people like Barbara J. and my mother and her peer group who are in their late fifties, early sixties and think about how vibrant they are. They are all fit and active and young looking. It's the new way to grow old gracefully. And I don't think it is just a matter of Botox and plastic surgery. I think people are working out, eating better and staying active in their community. And it keeps them young. For a lot of these people, 60 doesn't look like 60 anymore. And maybe that's a good sign for all of us "Quarter plus century" people.



No comments: