Wednesday, June 23, 2004

So, I'm going to say something a little bit shocking here. Get ready...

The DA VINCI CODE is one of the most overrated books in the history of the written word. I am sick to death of hearing about it and even seeing it.

I read the book in June 2003 before it got really popular. I took it with me to L.A. when I was visiting my friend Maya and read it in about two days. It was a fun fluffy beach read kind of book. Entertaining and fast-paced. But not even close to great literature. There were big inconsistencies, underdeveloped plot lines and overuse of adverbs. It was something on a par with a John Grisham book. But people are treating it as the most life-changing book to come around in recent years. Are we that starved for spiritual fulfillment that we have to look at an action page-turner for enlightenment. Come on, people! Will it really take Oprah to get us back to the classics and great literature? That's pretty sad.


No comments: