Tuesday, June 22, 2004

So, you'll have to pardon me as I get out my stepping stool and climb onto my high horse but I'm all fired up about something I found in my mailbox today.

We have a Christian bookstore here called Lifeway. It's a decent store although not as good as some we have in Dallas. They periodically send me circulars in the mail and I got one today. I thought I'd thumb through it and see what new Christian literature was out. But I was flabbergasted to see Dr. James Dobson's new book "Marriage Under Fire." Here's what the blurb says:

"For the past 40 years, the homosexual activist movement has sought to implement a master plan to utterly destroy the family. And in his newest release, Dr. James Dobson addresses the dire ramifications of judicial activism and presents a compelling argument against the legalization of homosexual unions--mobilizing the Christian community to respond to a call of action."

It is stuff like this that makes me embarrassed to be a Christian. First of all, I have never heard of this homosexual master plan. And having quite a few gay friends, I'm sure I would have by now. Second of all, what exactly are Christians afraid of? That the human species will come to an end? We are already overpopulated as it is. Third, the real threat to marriage is promiscuity and lack of monogamy. And those are perpetrated by heterosexuals as well as homosexuals. Wouldn't we rather want to see individuals in loving committed relationships than people out having random meaningless sex? This book and agenda are absolutely ridiculous. Christians should more concerned about things like poverty, poor education and healthcare of children, the fact that we cannot solve the problem of scores of mentally ill people living on the streets, the squalor of low-income housing. Get out of people's bedrooms and start worrying about what is happening on the streets right in front of your eyes, people!


No comments: